Thursday, January 19, 2012

Wild Wednesday...

I don't know about you all, but Wednesdays are always crazy for us. Lately the kids seem to be waking up with far more energy on on hump days then on any other given day of the week. Why, because Wednesday nights mean Pit Stop (for teens) and youth group! 

2011 equaled some crazy changes for my family when it came to church... My kids had grown up Independent Fundamental Baptist, however I was having issues with some of the legalism and large amounts of hypocrisy I saw in the church. Then in 2010 we, like many others, saw a drastic cut in income and found it near impossible to drive to church each week. A decision was made to attend a little church within walking distance from our house, so that we could be active in a ministry. That church just happened to be Methodist (big difference from the IFB) On a good day the congregation might hit 20 with 90% of the members my parents age or older. There are a total of three teens (2 of which are my daughters) and our town is so small, that there isn't much of a chance to bring in kids in order to begin a youth program. The nice thing about the little church, is the fact that they do not discourage anyone from serving. My oldest started a children's choir with the few children who come, and she is a Sunday School assistant. Second oldest is heavily involved in playing music for the church (piano, guitar & harmonica), Daughter number 3 is working in the nursery with the other teen. And two of the girls and I are involved in the puppet ministry, which I think is enjoyed more by the adults then it is the kids. I wanted my kids to be able to participate in church youth activities though... so, after talking to a friend, we decided to check out the Wednesday night program at a church in the U.P. of MI. I figured there would be about 20 kids from preschool-teen. I'm sure you can imagine my surprise when I found out that there are more then 35 active teens in the Pit Stop program alone! After the first visit, my kids were in 7th heaven, so we have been going there ever since. Then in December my second oldest was invited by some of the teens to attend the Sunday School Christmas party. She and I went to the early service and stayed for S.S. We both really enjoyed the rock solid preaching there, and have continued to attend the early a.m. services when ever we can. No, the church is not Methodist, it is actually an Independent Assembly of God. After reading this I'm sure there are some of you who are saying "So, what's the big deal?" while others of you are judging and shaking your heads. Here's my take on it... in the little Methodist church, my kids are serving...they are ministering to others...and using the gifts God gave them to bless those around them. Then on Wed. nights they get to hear more of the Word and fellowship with kids...crazy, fun loving kids! It is a win, win situation in my book.

Tonight daughters 2 & 3 brought their guitars so that they could play the soft background music while  a small group of 4th-6th graders gave a flannel board presentation. It was the first time they played music on Wednesday nights, and I am sure it will not be the last, because they did a fantastic job! Oh, and speaking of youth groups and music...my second oldest has been asked if she would play guitar at a little non denominational chapel for their Sunday night youth group. Another family involved in the music will be picking her up so that she can faithfully attend. I am so thankful that my kinds want to be in church, they want to serve, and I am thankful that God has given them each talents that can be used mightily in a ministry!

Now it's time to move on to a different subject and bite the bullet. I mentioned in yesterdays blog, that I would be posting information regarding my journey to get healthy. Well, I fell short today...very short; you might just say I fell flat on my face. I am not one who eats breakfast very often. I know...it's the most important meal of the day. I've tried telling my body that since I was a kid...I'm 43 now, and it still does not listen. If I force myself to eat breakfast when I do not feel the desire to, I tend to get very nauseated and then I do not want to eat the rest of the day. With that said, here is what day 1 looked like~

Breakfast: A cup of hazelnut flavored coffee with a little half & half (not fat free either- I'll get on my high horse about that another time) and 16 oz. of water.

Lunch: 1/2 cup Tuna salad with chopped pickle, a little mayo and mustard on top of 2 cups of lettuce, 6 peanut butter m&m's, one thin mint cookie, and 16 oz. of water.

Dinner: 2 mixed bean (black & pinto) burritos, topped with a little green enchilada sauce, pepper jack cheese, and sliced olives, and yes, 16 oz. of water.

I did not have a mid afternoon snack today, but did indulge in a cup of coffee tonight to warm myself up...something I never do. I also did not get in any exercise. Our high temp was supposed to reach 12 today however with the wind chill, it brought it way down and I was not brave enough to get out and walk.

Time for this Night Owl to head off to bed...hope everyone has a good night~

No comments:

Post a Comment