Monday, January 23, 2012

2:00 a.m. At This Hour is it Wit or Wisom?

Okay, I guess I have left you hanging long enough from my first blog. The answer to the phrase "Don't throw the baby out with the bath water" is one that many of you probably all ready know, but just in case you forgot, I'm going to tell you all again. It also dates back to the early settlers when the only bath tub was Ma's old wash tub....or if you were really wealthy a galvanized tub that was more oblong and designed for bathing. There wasn't any indoor plumbing, so buckets of water had to be hauled from the creek, and on a good day heated in a large pot hung over the fire in the fireplace. The man of the house got to take the first bath...once finished, the rest of the family members would take their turn; oldest to youngest bathing in the same water. Often by the time the baby was bathed, the water in the tub was so dirty that the child probably was cleaner before their bath then after. Thus the reason the phrase was born...

Yesterday (Saturday) I was busy putzing around the house. I washed, dried, and put away several loads of dishes (with 6 in the family and no dishwasher, I rarely see an empty sink in my kitchen). Next I put away several small kitchen appliances that somehow managed to wander out of the cabinets and set up residency on the kitchen counters. I then scrubbed the counters and back splash, window sill above the sink, and my collection of antique bottles that have earned an honored spot on the window sill. Then I grabbed the vacuum and attempted to vacuum the kitchen floor. Unfortunately that did not go as planned because the hose was plugged, so I had to disassemble it and try to dislodge the clog. With Bunny's help, I was able to remove enough of the clog so that I could at least vacuum the linoleum. Then came the fun job of scrubbing the kitchen floor on my hands and knees.... Lets just say you know you are really getting old when you make one pass across the width of the kitchen and you feel like you will never be able to stand again. With evil thoughts, I managed to finish scrubbing the kitchen floor-- and though I hate that task, I am always pleased with the outcome. And thankfully, I did not mop myself into the corner...don't laugh, because I know some of you have done that in the past too. Once the floor dried, I headed down into the basement where I scaled Mt. Washmore without being buried alive under an avalanche of dirty laundry. I then folded and sorted into piles roughly 6 loads of laundry so that said owners of such laundry could gather their clothing and put it away. Did I have high hopes for the task to be done...no not really. For some strange reason my children seem to think that their dresser is either the dirty clothes hamper, their bed, or the floor. And guess what folks, it must not be their fault. There must be some sort of contagious disease they have contracted, because I have recently spoken with other parents who are saying the same thing. This illness is reaching epidemic levels! I'm beginning to think the only cure for this illness of unknown origin is to box up any clean laundry that is misplaced and stash it in the basement. As the illness progresses, one will eventually be left with only their birthday suit, which will lead to shock therapy and cure this mysterious disease. Oh, I also managed to reorganize my own dresser, my sweater shelf in our bedroom closet, and the shelves in the bathroom linen closet (which happens to also be my clothes closet). I still have to tackle the floor of that closet because someone recently went rummaging through the spare blankets, wanting one in particular, and leaving a wake of dishevelled bedding strewn across my closet floor. I should have straightened them up yesterday, but my knees informed me that if I knelt down to get to the blankets that were under the bottom shelf, they would go on strike... permanently...

Today (Sunday) I was not quite as ambitious. I got up early so that some of us could make it to the first a.m. service at Maranatha (the Assembly of God church). Bugs and Bubba were the two that joined me. We made it to the first service just by the skin of our teeth, then stayed for Sunday School and the second service. Bugs left with one of the teens afterwards and went ice skating. Bubba and I made a stop at the grocery store on our way home. Beanie had asked if I would pick up hummus one day, so she could try it, so I bought a small container of it. Upon arriving home, I informed her that it was waiting for her in the fridge. Bubba was in the kitchen with me when she tried it. One mouthful on a tortilla chip, and she immediately headed for the trash can. Bubba asked what hummus was, and I informed him that it was chickpeas mashed with olive oil. He got a disgusted look on his face and blurted out "Gross! People eat chicken potty? Do they really put chicken pee in that stuff?"! I about died laughing after that conversation. I then made lunch (minus the hummus) for Bubba and I, washed our dishes, and then headed back down into the basement to switch the last load of laundry I did yesterday from the washer to the drier. Then I came upstairs snuggled under my favorite throw blanket on the couch and read the first chapter of a new book that Bunny and Bubba received out loud to them.

Here's how my journey started this week to becoming a healthier me~
1/22
Breakfast: 1/4 of a plain bagel with a tsp. of pineapple cream cheese and water
Lunch: Maui Onion Roll (from our store bakery department) topped with German mustard, 2 thin slices of Black Forest ham, 2 thin slices of Bourbon, Maple Turkey, a handful of chopped lettuce and 1/2 an avocado. Water to drink
Snack: Butter Toffee flavored coffee with half n' half. I am addicted to flavored coffees, NOT flavored creamers.
Dinner: 1 serving of black pepper and olive oil triscuits, roughly an ounce of cheddar olive cheese (a cheddar cheese with small chunks of black and green olives in it), another slice of that wonderful turkey, some cherry tomatoes and yes...water.
Exercise...none

Well, that was my weekend in a nut shell. Good night......ZZZzzzzzzzz

   

No comments:

Post a Comment